The soul cannot forgive until it
is restored to wholeness and health.
In the absence of love - how can one forgive?

With an abundance of love, starting with one's self,
forgiveness becomes a viable opportunity.
-Nancy Richards

Sunday, December 16, 2007

Forgiving on our own Timetable

Forgiveness can be a scary concept. I was afraid to forgive my abusers, because to me forgiving meant that I could be hurt again. At the time, I was right. My attempts at forced forgiveness left me open to re-injury. I hadn't healed enough to protect myself.

The pressure I felt to forgive my abusers left me frozen in painful limbo - unable to heal or authentically forgive.

The day came when I reached the end of my endurance. I decided not to forgive and my life changed forever!

The decision I made to place my own well-being first, and to nurse myself back to emotional health, sent me on a healing journey that eventually freed me to forgive.

No comments: