The soul cannot forgive until it
is restored to wholeness and health.
In the absence of love - how can one forgive?

With an abundance of love, starting with one's self,
forgiveness becomes a viable opportunity.
-Nancy Richards

Thursday, April 3, 2008

Sometimes, it’s Okay to be Selfish

Contrary to popular belief, healing required stepping out of my abusive relationships, out of the desire to forgive and to become “selfish,” focusing on myself and on what I needed.

Selfish didn’t mean self-centeredness. It meant taking my focus off of that which diminished me and placing it on that which gave me hope and a future.

During the most tenuous part of my recovery, it was important for me to build a strong healing foundation. In the ensuing years, I often found myself thrust back to my foundation with an uncompromising resolve to put myself first in this process no matter what losses putting myself first required.

No comments: