The soul cannot forgive until it
is restored to wholeness and health.
In the absence of love - how can one forgive?

With an abundance of love, starting with one's self,
forgiveness becomes a viable opportunity.
-Nancy Richards

Thursday, March 5, 2009

Family of Choice / Second Chance Family

A friend of mine sent me a video today that touched my heart. It reminded me of "rebuilding families."

A huge part of recovering from family estrangement is building a "Family of Choice." Or, as Mark Sichel calls it, a "Second Chance Family."

Family cut-offs are huge losses. Even if our relationship(s) was stressful, there is no way around mourning this sort of "death:" our history... what could have been... what should have been... and what was not.

We mourn as we rebuild until the rebuilding out-weighs the mourning.

After my family estrangement, I began to fill my Holidays and other family traditions with my new "family" of choice." Once I'd healed enough to be emotionally present with my new "family," I relished in the experience of walking amongst these people and feeling love in the air.

Given my personal experience, videos about animals creating inter-species relationships/family groups intrigue me:

6 comments:

Marj aka Thriver said...

Awww! How cute! And what a positive post. I needed one of those, thanks.

AbuseAndForgiveness said...

You're welcome, Marj.

mile191 said...

ahhh, such peace you offer us. I love to come by and read you and find that you offer so much positive vibe to us. I have posted a link to a post on Women Doing More. Something my aunt and I wrote up together about the loss of a child, and then her helping me through abuse and abandonment. if you get a chance to read it I would love your feedback. Thanks.

AbuseAndForgiveness said...

The Women Doing More piece is beautiful and inspiring! Thank you for sharing it with me.

Tears came to my eyes as I read.

Many thanks to you and your Aunt for a powerful example of allowing grief to bear healing and compassionate fruit.

Warm regards,
Nancy

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing this uplifting post. Blessings!

AbuseAndForgiveness said...

You're Welcome!

Thanks for stopping by.