The soul cannot forgive until it
is restored to wholeness and health.
In the absence of love - how can one forgive?

With an abundance of love, starting with one's self,
forgiveness becomes a viable opportunity.
-Nancy Richards

Wednesday, January 9, 2008

Risking Vulnerability

I feel vulnerable as a new blogger. I am struck by the number of survivors, who risk vulnerability in order to connect with people of like experiences – to share, to be heard – and to help fellow survivors.

It was only a few years ago when I discovered the world of online support. My first thought was, “Shoot. I wish we had the internet 20 years ago when I felt isolated and alone, as I went through the worst part of my recovery.

Finding other abuse survivors, support, and understanding in the real world, was a long, difficult task. Today, internet support groups (with varying degrees of privacy), and survivor blogs abound.

The internet can be a scary place – as well as a vehicle for valuable support. What the internet does offer – unlike ever before – is the ability to easily find and connect with people in similar situations. Yet, just as in the real world, we all need safe environments in which to share.

I think vulnerability in conjunction with clear, respectful boundaries - in any setting – is a risk that does have its rewards.

2 comments:

KarenP said...

Hi Nancy,

I just found your blog. I am a new blogger as well (www.blog.real-grace.org) so I felt a connection right away with this post. I'm still browsing through but so far I'm enjoying what I'm reading. Thank you for making yourself so vulnerable to us. It's incredibly helpful to know how others are healing through such pain.

AbuseAndForgiveness said...

Hi Karen,

Thank you for your comment. I just visited your blog and I am touched by the thoughtfulness and vulnerability in your posts.

Your posts are a poignant model of what it means to recover with "grace."

All my best,
Nancy