The soul cannot forgive until it
is restored to wholeness and health.
In the absence of love - how can one forgive?

With an abundance of love, starting with one's self,
forgiveness becomes a viable opportunity.
-Nancy Richards

Friday, March 21, 2008

Honor Thy Mother and Father?

For many years, I struggled with the "Honor Thy Mother and Father" scenario, because I no longer had a relationship with my mother. Other abuse and estrangement survivors have indicated this to me as well.

One day, I realized that I was honoring Mom even though I didn't have contact with her. I recognized that not engaging in the toxicity and living my life with dignity and integrity - did honor my Mother.

I've always loved my Mother. Even during the time that I did not feel safe enough to see her. Now that we have reconciled, I honor her by maintaining my boundaries, taking responsibility for my own well-being, respecting our historical bond, and accepting her for who she is.

This is an interesting article written from the Christian perspective:

Honor My Mother and Father?
By Nancy Ortberg

No comments: