The soul cannot forgive until it
is restored to wholeness and health.
In the absence of love - how can one forgive?

With an abundance of love, starting with one's self,
forgiveness becomes a viable opportunity.
-Nancy Richards

Saturday, December 29, 2007

Forgive and Forget?

Forgiveness is a long, complicated, and confusing process. If and when we do forgive, do we ever really forget? Or, is there a healing power in remembering?

Remembering doesn't mean that we remain stuck in one place. For me, the true miracle of forgiveness is the ability to accept and make peace with the truth of the past.

Our history constructs our emotional self; therefore, our memories can be the catalyst to reconstruct our view of the world, for growth and for change.

Rather than wasting my energy on trying to forget, I spent my emotional currency on keeping myself safe, on healing - and then forgiving - but always I've remembered. My memories are a great reminder of just how far I have come.

Forgiveness doesn't mean forgetting, or excusing, or giving up our safety. We move toward forgiveness when we have healed enough to experience some sense of peace.

Wishing everyone peace.

No comments: